In today’s global economy, language skills are increasingly in demand when you’re looking for a new job or getting your foot on the first rung of the employment ladder.
English is the worldwide business language and it has become a vital asset in today’s highly competive environment. According to a study by Trabajando.com España, a candidate with advanced English language skills has 44% more chances of landing a job. Clearly, then, a good proficiency in English is a fundamental requirement for obtaining a job and for making yourself a more competitive player in the job market.
The number of people with a good command of English is on the rise, so job-hunting is relatively easier for candidates with a third language. Currently, employers are on the lookout for people with a proficiency in German, French and/or Portuguese, mainly because nearly 60% of Spain’s IBEX-35 listed company revenues comes from non-Spanish countries. Hence the importance of a second or third language. Chinese is another language that is in rapidly growing demand (by business and students alike) and is gaining a foothold in Spain, be it for China’s economic development or its attractive culture.
The same study also finds that 39% of Spaniards speak a second language and 21% claim to be proficient in two foreign languages. When asked how they think this affects their possibilities of landing a job, 89% of those who speak a foreign language said that their language skills increased their chances, while 11% thought that it made no difference at all.
So a second language is undeniably an increasingly valuable asset in today’s environment. If we want to be competitive in the workplace and in the job market overall, proficiency in one or two foreign languages is a must.
What do you think? Have you ever been selected or hired for your foreign language skills?